It gets hot around these parts in the summer. You might as well consider a backyard pool a necessity.
Above-ground pool or in-ground pool, you’ll want a way to cool off if you don’t have access to a community pool.
And while summer is a time for fun and relaxation with many people enjoying spending time at the pool, it’s also an opportunity to make sure you and yours are well protected, with safety and insurance.
Swimming pools can be dangerous, especially for young children and inexperienced swimmers.
You want to make sure the summer fun doesn’t get bogged down by a mid-summer insurance claim.
What Your Insurance Has to Do with Swimming Pools
There are many reasons why you want to have the best home insurance when you own a swimming pool.
- Liability coverage: If someone is injured on your property, your home insurance policy may cover the cost of their medical expenses. This is especially important if you have a swimming pool, as there is a higher risk of accidents involving children and pets.
- Property damage: If your swimming pool is damaged by a storm or other event, your home insurance policy may cover the cost of repairs.
- Drowning: Of all the dangerous situations related to backyard swimming pools, drowning tops the list. If someone drowns in your swimming pool, your home insurance policy may cover the cost of their funeral expenses.
In addition to these specific reasons, having the best home insurance when you own a swimming pool can also give you peace of mind. Knowing that you are financially protected in the event of an accident or other incident can make it easier to enjoy your swimming pool without worry.
Choosing Proper Home Insurance
When choosing home insurance, it is important to compare policies from different companies to find the best coverage for your needs. You should also make sure that the policy you choose includes coverage for swimming pools.
Here are some tips for choosing the best home insurance for a swimming pool:
- Get quotes from multiple companies.
- Compare the coverage limits and deductibles of each policy.
- Make sure the policy includes coverage for swimming pools.
- Ask about discounts for things like safety features and security measures.
Once you have chosen a policy, be sure to read the fine print and understand what is and is not covered. You should also keep your policy up-to-date with any changes to your home or swimming pool.
Swimming Pool Safety Tips
Here are some tips for swimming pool safety in the upcoming summer months:
- Always supervise children when they are in or around the pool. Even if your child knows how to swim, it is important to never take your eyes off of them. A drowning incident can happen quickly and quietly, so it is important to be vigilant.
- Enroll your child in swimming lessons. Learning to swim is one of the best ways to prevent drowning. Even if your child is a strong swimmer, it is still important to take lessons regularly.
- Practice active supervision by never leaving a child or elderly person unattended in a pool, even for a few seconds. This includes going to the bathroom, getting a drink, or answering the phone. If you need to leave the pool area, take your child with you.
- Install a pool fence. A pool fence is one of the most effective ways to prevent drowning. A properly installed gated fence will keep children out of the pool when they are not supervised.
- Have appropriate drain covers. Instruct young swimmers to not go near drains or suction outlets, as these can be very dangerous. Make sure you cover drains to begin with!
- Keep the pool area clear of toys and other objects. Toys and other objects can create tripping hazards and make it difficult for children to swim safely. Keep the chances of injury low.
- Test the water temperature before swimming. The water temperature should be between 78 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Swimming in water that is too hot or too cold can be dangerous.
- Avoid swimming after eating a large meal. Swimming after eating a large meal can cause stomach cramps and make it difficult to swim safely.
- Don’t drink alcohol or use drugs before or while swimming. Alcohol and drugs can impair your judgment and coordination, making it more difficult to swim safely.
- Discourage diving in shallow pool water. Diving into the shallow end of a pool can cause serious and even fatal head injuries, especially for children. Instruct swimmers to always check the depth of the water before diving or jumping in.
- Learn CPR. CPR can save a life if someone drowns. If you know CPR, you can help save the life of someone who is drowning.
Keep your family safe by heeding these helpful tips.
Additional Safety Tips
In addition to the tips listed above, here are some additional safety tips for swimming pools:
- Check the pool filter regularly and make sure it is working properly. A clogged filter can reduce the amount of oxygen in the pool, which can be dangerous for swimmers.
- Keep the pool clean and free of debris. Debris can create tripping hazards and make it difficult to swim safely.
- Test the pool water for chemicals regularly and make sure the levels are correct. Improper chemical levels can be dangerous for swimmers.
- Have an audible pool alarm installed. A pool alarm can alert you if someone falls into the pool.
- Take a first aid course. Knowing first aid can help you save a life if someone is injured in or around the pool.
By following these safety tips, you can help keep your family safe and have a fun and enjoyable summer at the pool.
Watley Insurance Group is a family-owned and operated insurance agency that has been serving the Ark-La-Tex area for over 20 years. We are proud to offer a wide variety of insurance options to our clients, including home, auto, life, and business insurance. We are committed to providing our clients with the best possible service and coverage, and we are always available to answer any questions you may have.
If you are looking for a reliable and experienced insurance agency, Watley Insurance Group is the perfect choice for you. We are located in Shreveport, Louisiana, but we serve clients throughout the Ark-La-Tex area. To learn more about our services, please contact us today. You can fill out our contact form, give us a call, or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you!
Here are some of the ways Watley Insurance Group can help you:
- Home insurance: We can help you find a home insurance policy that fits your needs and budget. We offer a variety of coverage options, including liability, property damage, and theft protection.
- Auto insurance: We can help you find an auto insurance policy that gives you the coverage you need at a price you can afford. We offer a variety of discounts, including discounts for good driving records and safety features.
- Life insurance: We can help you find a life insurance policy that will provide financial security for your loved ones in the event of your death. We offer a variety of policies, including term life insurance and permanent life insurance.
- Business insurance: We can help you find a business insurance policy that protects your business from financial losses due to accidents, lawsuits, and other unforeseen events. We offer a variety of policies, including general liability insurance, property insurance, and workers’ compensation insurance.
Contact Watley Insurance Group today to learn more about our services and how we can help you protect your assets.